Reminders about MSU golf carts, low speed vehicles, side-by-sides, utility carts

All Mississippi State University golf carts, low speed vehicles, side-by-sides, utility carts, etc. are required to behave as a vehicle by only driving in an open roadway, obeying all traffic control devices, and parking in valid parking spaces. These vehicles, unless they have an approved or a work-related duty to be off-road are not to be driven or parked on sidewalks, landscaped or turfed areas, plazas, etc.

No private vehicle may operate on campus without a state issued license plate or park on campus without a valid MSU parking permit.

Given the recent policy change in the City of Starkville that allows golf carts and low speed vehicles to operate on city streets, all MSU vehicles are required to register with Parking and Transit Services and purchase a permit for $5. This permit will assist Parking and Transit Services and the University Police in being able to differentiate between official MSU vehicles and private vehicles and provide a point-of-contact and responsible party for MSU vehicles that are permitted to operate on campus.

To register a vehicle, please bring the vehicle make, model, color and responsible party contact information to the Parking and Transit Services office in the Roberts Building. Permits are $5 and are valid for the life of the cart. Permits must be displayed on the cart at all times, and replacement permits will be $5.

Beginning Dec. 1, any unregistered golf cart, low speed vehicle, side-by-side, utility cart, etc. that is operating or parked on campus will be immobilized with a boot and/or towed.

For more information, please contact Parking and Transit Services at 662-325-3526.

Return to Memo

Mississippi State University  •  Mississippi State, MS 39762  •  Main Telephone: (662) 325-2323  •   Contact: The Editor  |  The Webmaster  •   Updated: November 8, 2021Facebook Twitter